Skip to main content

Issue

ARE YOU TEACHABLE

The Governor of North Carolina once complimented Thomas Edison on his creative genius. "I am not a great inventor," countered Edison. "But you have over 1,000 patents to your credit," the Governor stated. "Yes, but about the only invention I can claim is absolutely original, is the phonograph," Edison replied. "I'm afraid I don't understand," the Governor remarked. "Well," explained Edison, "I'm an awfully good sponge. I absorb ideas wherever I can and put them to practical use. Then I improve them until they become of some value. My ideas are mostly the ideas of other people who didn't develop them themselves." Edison was a lifelong learner. He stayed open, hungry for knowledge, and teachable. And to succeed, you must too. To know whether you're teachable, ask yourself:

(1) Am I open to other people's thoughts and ideas?

(2) Do I listen more than I talk?

(3) Am I willing to change my opinion based on new information?

(4) Do I readily admit when I am wrong?

(5) Do I think and observe before acting on a situation? (6) Do I ask questions?

(7) Am I willing to ask a question that will expose my ignorance?

(8) Am I open to doing things in a way I haven't done them before?

(9) Am I willing to ask for directions?

(10) Do I act defensively when criticized, or do I listen openly for the truth? The Bible says: "The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PRAYER FOR FORGIVENESS. We have ridiculed the absolute truth of God's word and called it 'pluralism'. We have worshipped other gods and said 'give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar'. We have endorsed pervertion and called it 'alternative life style'. We have exploited the poor and called it 'lottery'. We have rewarded laziness and called it 'welfare'. We have committed adultery and called it 'playing around'. We have committed fornication and called it 'having fun'. We have killed unborn children and called it 'choice'. We neglected to discipline our children and called it 'building self esteem'. We have abused power and called it 'politics'. We have converted our neighbour's property and called it 'ambition'. We have polluted the air with profanity and pornography and called it 'freedom of expression'. We have ...

#NextGeneration Stories

Cherokee Legend Do you know the legend of the Cherokee Indian youth's rite of Passage? His father takes him into the forest, blindfolds him and leaves him alone.  He is required to sit on a stump the whole night and not remove the blindfold until the rays of the morning sun shine through it. He cannot cry out for help from anyone.  Once he survives the night, he is a MAN. He cannot tell the other boys of this experience, because each lad must come into manhood on his own. The boy is naturally terrified. He can hear all kinds of noises. Wild beasts must surely be all around him. Maybe even some humans might do him harm. The wind blew the grass and earth, and shook his stump, but he sat stoically, never removing the blindfold. It would be the only way he could become a man! Finally, after a horrific night the sun appeared and he removed his blindfold. It was then that he discovered his father sitting on the stump next to him.    He had been at watch the entire night, p...

Theme Days For May

    13 February World Radio Day   3 May World Press Freedom Day  16 May International Day of Light  17 May World Telecommunication and Information Society Day   23 September International Day of Sign Languages  28 September International Day for Universal Access to Information  30 September International Translation Day  5 October World Teachers’ Day   24 October World Development Information Day   21 November World Television Day  Why are these days important to us even in May? This is because these days play a role in adding to the sum total of our Aim and Objectives in TLF.  But note that 17th of May is World Telecommunication and Information Society Day the "D" day, we are going to focus on issues of the communication in modern times.  In the course of the year, join us in carrying out the various activities lined up in accordance with our themes. Remember that our cardinal projects are to dist...