Skip to main content

Issue

Daddy's Empty Chair
A man's daughter had asked the local minister to come and pray with her
father. When the minister arrived, he found the man lying in bed with his head propped up on two pillows.  An empty chair sat beside his bed.
The minister assumed that the old fellow had been informed of his visit.
"I guess you were expecting me, he said.
'No, who are you?" said the father.
The minister told him his name and then remarked, "I saw the empty chair and I figured you knew I was going to show up,"
"Oh yeah, the chair," said the bedridden man.
"Would you mind closing the door?"
Puzzled, the minister shut the door
"I have never told anyone this,  not even my daughter,"  said the man.
"But all of my life I have never known how to pray.  At church I used to
hear the pastor talk about prayer,  But it went right over my head."
I abandoned any attempt at prayer," the old man continued,  "until one day four years ago,  my best friend said to me,  "Johnny, prayer is  just a simple matter of having a conversation with Jesus.  Here is what I suggest."  "Sit down in a chair;  place an empty chair in front of you,  and in faith see Jesus on the chair.  It's not spooky because he promised,  'I will be with you always'.  "Then just speak to him in the same way  you're doing with me right now."  "So, I tried it and I've liked it so much that I do it  a couple of hours every day.   I'm careful though. If my daughter saw me talking to an empty chair, she'd either have a nervous breakdown or send me off to the funny farm."
The minister was deeply moved by the story  and encouraged the old man to continue on the journey.  Then he prayed with him, anointed him with oil,  and returned to the church.
Two nights later the daughter called  to tell the minister that her daddy
had died that afternoon.  Did he die in peace?" he asked.
Yes, when I left the house about two o'clock,  he called me over to his bedside,  told me how much he loved me  and kissed me on the cheek.  When I got back from the store an hour later,  I found him dead. 
But there was something strange about his death. Apparently, just before Daddy died, he leaned over and rested his head on the chair beside the bed.  What do you make of that?"
The minister wiped a tear from his eye and said, "I wish we could all go like that."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PRAYER FOR FORGIVENESS. We have ridiculed the absolute truth of God's word and called it 'pluralism'. We have worshipped other gods and said 'give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar'. We have endorsed pervertion and called it 'alternative life style'. We have exploited the poor and called it 'lottery'. We have rewarded laziness and called it 'welfare'. We have committed adultery and called it 'playing around'. We have committed fornication and called it 'having fun'. We have killed unborn children and called it 'choice'. We neglected to discipline our children and called it 'building self esteem'. We have abused power and called it 'politics'. We have converted our neighbour's property and called it 'ambition'. We have polluted the air with profanity and pornography and called it 'freedom of expression'. We have ...

#NextGeneration Stories

Cherokee Legend Do you know the legend of the Cherokee Indian youth's rite of Passage? His father takes him into the forest, blindfolds him and leaves him alone.  He is required to sit on a stump the whole night and not remove the blindfold until the rays of the morning sun shine through it. He cannot cry out for help from anyone.  Once he survives the night, he is a MAN. He cannot tell the other boys of this experience, because each lad must come into manhood on his own. The boy is naturally terrified. He can hear all kinds of noises. Wild beasts must surely be all around him. Maybe even some humans might do him harm. The wind blew the grass and earth, and shook his stump, but he sat stoically, never removing the blindfold. It would be the only way he could become a man! Finally, after a horrific night the sun appeared and he removed his blindfold. It was then that he discovered his father sitting on the stump next to him.    He had been at watch the entire night, p...

Why Do You Smoke?

6 personalized approaches to quitting forever.  Everyone smokes—and quits—for different reasons, and the key to getting smoke-free for life is to find out why you are smoking and then change those behaviors. If you are a Recreational or Social Smoker, you may feel that your limited smoking poses no serious medical harm to yourself or others. You may, however, ignore warning signs that your occasional smoking is progressing into addiction, especially during periods of stress or increased alcohol use. A periodic review of these warning signs may help motivate you to consider becoming smoke-free. The Scared-to-Quit Smoker has no end of reasons (excuses) to put off going smoke-free to some future date. Sometimes it helps to focus on just quitting for one day. If you can quit for a day, you can quit every day. This realization can be a great confidence builder, and helps to decrease your fears about not smoking “ever again.” Forever is too big a word for many addicts; thus the old adage...